Monday, February 13, 2012

2/11/12

What another busy day I had yesterday. I also have to admit it was an impressive day as well. Started off the day with a train ride up to the statue of Christ the redeemer. My whole life I have always wanted to see this statue and now I finally got the opportunity. After seeing the statue we went to a restaurant that I found to be pretty interesting. It was similar to a buffet, but instead of there being a fee for all you can eat, you had to pay by the weight of your plate. I tried some more traditional Brazilian food, but I have figured out that I really miss spicy food. I am not saying that the food is bad, because it is delicious, I am just saying that I could really go for something spicy. Anyway, after our meal we went to the Botanical Gardens, which I believe were inaugurated in 1808. This place was enormous and had all the native plants of Brazil. It also had other plants from around the globe. We had a nice relaxing walk around the park and took in all that nature had to offer. One would think that was the end of my day, but after our visit to the Botanical Gardens we went to the famous Sugar Loaf. I had the chance to take the cable car to both of the mountains that make the Sugar Loaf. We also had a great view of Niteroi, a city that is separated from Rio de Janeiro by a huge bridge. We finished the day by walking a couple of miles next to Sugar Loaf on a trail called "Pista Claudio Coutinho." The trail was named after a Brazilian soccer coach who died while diving. It is 1350m long one way and is extremely beautiful. It does not seem like a lot of tourists really know about it. To wrap up the day I got to see a "monkey" that is called a mico in Brazil. Tomorrow I have one more big day in Rio before I head out to Juiz de Fora.

Christ Redeemer
 View from Christ redeemer

 Train up to the Christ Redeemer
 Botanical Gardens
 Palm trees that were planted in 1808
 Feeeesh
 Botanical Garden
 Giant lily pads, Botanical Garden
 View from the top of the Sugar Loaf

 Cable cars to Sugar Loaf

A Mico (cute)










2 comments:

  1. How beautiful! Seriously, you look like you are having the time of your life. I hope the rest of the trip is just as exciting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross, seeing the Christ Redeemer stature had to be an amazing experience...seeing it far away in one of your photos from Sugar Loaf gives a better perspective on just how high up it is, how it towers over the city. Great pictures! Glad you are seeing a lot before heading off in another direction!

    ReplyDelete