Friday, February 10, 2012

Can't believe that I have already spent my first day in Brazil! Leaving home was very difficult for me but I can already tell that this will go by quickly. After a long and almost sleepless flight from Houston to Rio I met with our family friend Regina. Regina is a fantastic woman and we had a really busy and fun time today. Even the bus ride from the airport to her house was fascinating! We started of our day by going to grab a bite to eat and washed it all down with a glass of chopp, what Regina referred to as Brazilian draft beer. After that we took a bus downtown where I got to see some interesting buildings such as the National Public Library, the House of Representatives, a replica of the Opera House in Paris, and a colossal modern cathedral. 

After walking around for so long it was time to check out the beaches! I was able to take a look at Sugar Loaf and to gaze upon the famous beaches of Copacabana and Ipanema (which I am only half a block away from). Finally, we concluded the night with another glass of chopp and some traditional Brazilian food as the sun set on the beach.

I am pretty exhausted after such a long day and will be going to bed soon since we are five hours ahead of CO. Tomorrow I get to do some more sight seeing with Regina and I also get to eat more Brazilian food!


 







4 comments:

  1. Wow Ross! Great pictures!! Will love following the blog, glad you started one. So I have to ask, in my total ignorance...what kinds of foods and dishes are traditional Brazilian foods? Is it Mexican-esque? Or something totally different? Are you already set up in your apartment? Pics of the apartment too, ok? Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well as far as the food goes, rice and beans are a very common side dish. So in that sense it is somewhat similar to Mexican food. Spicy food though is very uncommon I guess. Yesterday I had this fried fish ball and what they called a pastel, which almost looked like a Mexican empanada. So far, the food is pretty good! Right now I am living at Regina's apartment in Rio, but on Monday I will be going to Juiz de Fora and will figure out my housing there.

      Delete
  2. Wow, how exciting Ross! I look forward to seeing and reading lots about Brazil. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete